Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fruitland Park Gem...

Perhaps it was the crisp Fall weather.
Perhaps it was the 2 adorable kids I had with me.
Perhaps it was the bright, marshmallow clouds on a vibrant blue sky.
Perhaps it was memories of our annual pumpkin patch/cemetary visits growing up, followed by a trip to the burger joint with pinball and the "Bryce Hatch Burger."

Whatever the reason, when we spontaneously stopped at this quaint, 1888 church yesterday I felt a little like I was in Heaven.


Some of the charm is the deliciously rustic paint.

There's a sweet cemetary out back the kids (and I) had fun exploring.

This old lych gate was added in 1889.

Wyatt tested its fortitude... Sturdy as ever!



I've passed this church many times on the way to or from the Russ home.

I'm glad I FINALLY stopped to smell the flowers. Hardy har har.

It is a gem. They call it "carpenter gothic."

I thought these pictures captured personalities well - Wyatt has stopped to laboriously study ants. And ponder the meaning of life. And Ryan is outta here!

On to the next adventure with mucho concentration. (And speed)

5 comments:

Julie K said...

I happen to adore Carpenter Gothic. Ever since I saw an episode of This Old House (or whatever they are calling it since that insufferable, camera hog Bob Vila left) wherein a couple purchased an old church in S.F. and redid it as their home, I have wanted to live in an old church. But not an old LDS church, because everybody knows we got it going on with the refreshments but the architecture, not so much. Anyway, why for the love is it called the "Cultural Hall"? I vote for multi-purpose room, or even better, from the Simpson's elementary school, a "single-purpose room". (It's just not a comment from me if it doesn't reference the Simpson's, wouldn't you agree?)
And those two children are delicious. Do they come with recipes?

Kim said...

Wow! That church is very neat! I can't believe how Wyatt has grown up. And Ryan is so beautiful- I love her eyes!

nanamoo said...

What a great little adventure. You inspire me!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Ooooo...old,charming and in need of some TLC. Just like my man.

And HELLO - what, I have an unlimited budget, no children and creativity out the wha-zoo? No that's not my work, those are photos from my "design file." If I actually did anything that fantabulous I'd would have a career and not be at home cleaning up vomit and playing "name that smell" everytime I entered my boys room. At least not full time ;)

The Land Down Under is by Colin Hay, who (YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS!) was the original singer for Men At Work. On his album they also have a salsa version of the song which is pretty caliente too. Arriba!

Bryan and Amanda Russ said...

Yep, never stopped, but love the pictures, maybe we will go sometime.