Monday, July 7, 2008

Freedom, Family, Friends, and Fireworks...

I love this time of year. There's something about freedom, family, friends and fireworks that makes the 4th the best!

We had a delightful cookout followed by fireworks. Most of us enjoyed the fireworks, but they were "Too noisy" for Wyatt. (Here Ryan and Cayd Russ sport the colors.)

We sang my favorite patriotic song yesterday in church, America the Beautiful. The third verse always touches me so:

Oh, beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife, Who more than self their country loved, and mercy more than life!

I'm grateful to live in a country where we have agency to choose how and who we worship. I feel it's in keeping with Heavenly Father's plan, where agency is central. I'm grateful for the true heroes who have sacrificed for our freedom. I'm proud of my father and veteran ancestors from both Mom and Dad's sides of the family. I'm grateful for soldiers who now are fighting and for their families who let them go for the sake of others.

7 comments:

nanamoo said...

such cuties!

Julie K said...

How cute is that girl? I'm glad to hear someone loves this holiday. I'm thankful for all the soldiers and the sacrifices, but count me out with the 4 of July activities. I'll post soon about our Bakersfield 4th of July and the fireworks, but just know that Halloween is much more my style.
And since you love that song, thought you should know that the woman that wrote it (her name escapes me now) wrote the lyrics whilst standing upon Pike's Peak (which is visible from my town) and looking out on the view. Kinda cool.

The Gage Cage said...

Amen Sista!

Brittany said...

i can't get over ryan, she is so beautiful!

Mary said...

Your thoughts on our country and the freedoms we have were touching. Glad you were able to be with friends and family.

Julie K said...

Just had to come back for more and comment about your "you look frazzled" comment. It reminded me of one of those "back door" insults that people think you can't decode. Case in point: A certain sister in law that always mentions that Josie has such a "strong" voice. Seriously. Woman, if it is annoying you, go take an asprin or even tell me, "Wow, that Jos can yell to beat the band", but please, please, don't give me a sorta-slam like that. I'm not stupid, just a little hard of hearing (given the circumstances).

Tiffany said...

From what I read on Amanda's blog, Fourth of July at the Boone's was quite the party as usual. I sure do miss my country and especially celebrating this holiday.