Monday, February 25, 2008

Times, They Are A-Changing

Since Ryan was born I have been contemplating the birth of my nephew, Carter. He's almost 13. It seems like 13 years has zipped by, but as I look at technological and personal differences between now and then I realize that MUCH has happened. Please bear with these examples...


- When Carter was born my sister had to leave numerous, insistent messages at the front desk of the hotel my parents were staying at in hopes they'd reach them in time to hop a plane
- When Ryan was born we had talked to every member of my family upon admittance to the hospital and had emailed pics via cell phone within minutes of her birth

-When Carter was born Ryan was my last name
- Now Boone is my last name, but Ryan is my favorite name :)

- When Carter was born we were planning a 6-week cross-country family trip that included a little stint in Florida
- Now my family plans trips specifically TO Florida to visit the favorite family member (Paris)

- When Carter was born I was a freshman in college
- Now Carter's almost a freshman in High school (Holy cow!)

- When Carter was born I had watched Back to the Future 3 and predicted that someday there would, indeed, be video phones but that they would be far too expensive to market to average Joe's
- When Ryan was born I was Skype-ing family for free...Mom, Kathryn, Morgan, etc were virtually in the hospital with me, only I couldn't smuggle chocolate pudding to them when the nurses weren't looking

- When Carter was born I was an A-cup
- Now, well, nursing is good for both baby AND mama, if you know what I mean

- When Carter was born I'd never even kissed anyone. I wondered when I would find my prince and have kids of my own
- Now I have my prince, but it's my 3 kids who think they're royalty

-When Carter was born I would find myself awake at night thinking about Rollerblading and a good book
- Now I find myself awake at night (nursing Ryan) and thinking about sleeping while reading a good book

- When Carter was born BYU was the greatest school in the world, I'd live on Slurpees and Skittles if I could, and I wanted to travel to Greece
- Oh, wait...I guess some things never change

4 comments:

Melody said...

I loved your blog. Time sure does fly. Interesting how our spirit is still just as young, but our ages says something else.

rachel said...

Hi, Kasey! It's Q's sister, Rach, and I found your blog through Kelly's.

So 3 kids now? Woohoo, me too! I love this post -- I can't believe Carter is almost 13.

I'm glad I found you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kasey! its carter! wow i love your blog, and i think this article is amazing! wow. times have changed (not that i would know much about that)
tell uncle paris,atticus, wiet, and ryan i said hi :)

Anonymous said...

HEY KASEY!NICE BLOG! NEXT TIME,WILL YOU TALK ABOUT YOUR SWEET, AWESOME,LOVING NIECE?I GOT UPSET WHEN YOU DIDN'T TALK ABOUT ME.PLEASE DO!I HAVEN'T MET RYAN,THOUGH.TELL HER I SAID 'HI'.

P.S.DON'T YOU THINK THAT THE PICTURE OF STRIP ATTICUS WAS A
LIITTTLLE P.G.13?
LOVE YOU!
TAYTAY (CARTER'S LITTLE SISTER)