Saturday, April 19, 2008

Forgiveness...

This week I had the opportunity to reread a talk given by President Hinckley in the October, 2005 General Conference called Forgiveness. Brought back memories, some sweet and some shameful.

I remember sitting in the chapel in Orange Park and feeling so touched the first time I heard this that I wept. I was pregnant at the time. I figured that played a big part in the waterworks. As I read it again this week I felt the same emotion, particularly reading the story of the Turkey-Lady.

I have been blessed with a personality that doesn't become offended easily, but I do tend to hold onto grudges once I've developed them. I suppose I feel an allegiance to justice. (Like I have the right to decide what is just!) Example: Ryan Carter. Oh, the shame!

Point is, this talk speaks to me. Love it. I've changed a word in the closing remarks for emphasis:
"May God help me to be a little kinder, showing forth greater forbearance, to be more forgiving, more willing to walk the second mile, to reach down and lift up those who may have sinned but have brought forth the fruits of repentance, to lay aside old grudges and nurture them no more."

This is going to be my Biggie for 2009. I'm going to start working on it now, though, so I don't have to eat the whole elephant on January 1st. I think this will be even harder than 2008's Biggie has been to date.

No comments: