Friday, March 14, 2008

Cut the Lab Apron Strings, Mama...

Recently we were at Bryan and Amanda's house, and Ryan was having tummy troubles. She was pretty pathetic. Amanda offered some gripewater, a natural colic remedy.

I looked at Ryan and all I could think was that theretofore she was still exclusively connected to me physically. Her entire body, every single atom, had been filtered through my body in utero or through nursing. I hesitated giving her the foreign gripewater molecules...Didn't want to contaminate the bond between us. I almost couldn't do it. But then I have to cut the apron strings eventually.

Isn't 4 weeks a little early for string cutting? :)


Then my mind wandered to periodic tables and biology classes past. It really is mesmerizing how a baby can grow so quickly in relation to her size exclusively from drinking breastmilk. I mean Ryan's gained about 30 percent of her birthweight in the last month. The equivalent would be my packing on 40 pounds in a month - From milk alone.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

40 lbs from milk...my oh my.

Bryan and Amanda Russ said...

Sorry I was the one to break the bond so early, hopefully it helped a little. I know what you mean though, I love the bond we share. You think more sophisticatedly obviously though. My thoughts had been "Wow all that fat, pee, poop and spit up comes from me, Amazing!!!" Being a Mom is the best. Love ya, girl.

Tiffany said...

It really is amazing. while the kids were in the bath, I was just watching this show on National Geographic about baby's and their development in the first year. Among a ton of interesting facts was one I had not ever heard. It said that newborn's cannont see or focus any further away than 12 inches, which is the approximate distance between the breast and the face. So just the right amount of distance for the baby to see our face and bond while they eat. AMAZING and as we know not a coincidence. The Lord has made us for this purpose.
Also from experience I can tell you that you can also gain 40 1bs. in a month from eating Jamoca Almond Fudge milkshakes from Baskin Robbins everyday. I don't recomment this though. Tell Ryan to stick to breast milk instead.

Melody said...

Wow! You're way too smart for me...