Friday, March 28, 2008

You Might Be a Redneck If...

You go to the County Fair for the quilting exhibit,
but STAY for the DEMOLITION DERBY!


I was surprised by how much fun we had at the Sumter County Fair. The art and horticulture exhibits were interesting, and the boys loved the animals. Atticus won a prize at a dart throwing booth.

Just when we thought it couldn't get any better we stumbled upon the Demolition Derby.

Drivers rig up old junkers, barricade themselves into a small, muddy area, then play bumper cars to the finish. We had a blast!

I don't know what came over me. I suppose I should blame the part of my personality that gets addicted to reality TV, but I was enchanted. I LOVE THE DEMOLITION DERBY!
We stayed for over an hour.
We met all sorts of colorful new friends,
learned all sorts of colorful new words and phrases,

were thrilled to see a fire truck rush in and extinguish a car that caught on fire,
and enjoyed being as loud and raucous as we pleased.



I made friends with a very sweet 7-year-old boy sitting in front of us. He played with Atticus, was kind to Wyatt and drew us this souvenir on the back of a flyer for an upcoming wrestling match. (No, I am not making this up.)




Ryan slept through the entire thing.

8 comments:

Melody said...

I'm with you, it sounds like fun!

Kathryn Poduska said...

Now I'm kind of sad that I have never been to a demolition derby

Anonymous said...

hey guys, i found your blog through amandas. how are you guys?? it's so nice to peak in on you :)

Kim said...

How fun, we totally went to a demolition derby here this last fall and it was a blast! Wyatt's sure growing up . . . has it been a big adjustment for him since Ryan came? I hope Lucy does well.

SpaceyKasey said...

Nope. Wyatt's done well. Lucy and Baby #2 will do great!

We miss you guys. Good luck with graduation.

Bryan and Amanda Russ said...

Sounds like a blast!

nanamoo said...

you made me want to go!

Judy Ryan said...

We really have to get you out of Wildwood. Meanwhile, send Ryan out here. We'll take her to a symphony.