Saturday, June 21, 2008

Lady (Me) and the Tramp - A.K.A. My Most Embarrassing Moment

I blame it all on Mom. And Walt.

Ryan family vacations always include some sort of attempt at music. 8-part singalongs around the piano, Irish tin whistles and Bohr ans, ORFF in the 5th grade, a miniature accordion, or her newest addition to the Ryan family musical instruments - handbells. I'm about to geek out - Handbells are so fun! You have to be on your toes, and it involves teamwork and communication in a way traditional choral music doesn't.

This trip's theme was Disney. Mom orchestrated a medley of 5 or 6 songs played by only 4 people. (Quite a feat, actually.) When we got the kids down we'd bust out the handbells. (I'm not making this up.) One of the standout numbers was the extremely catchy "Siamese Twin Song" from Lady and the Tramp. It took a bit of rehearsing, and as the timing is tricky we got in the habit of singing along as we played. "We are si-a-me-ese if you plea-ese...Purrrrrrrrrrrr."

Fast forward to our trip to the Georgia Aquarium. We'd been on our feet for hours and had yet to eat lunch. I was holding Ryan while the boys checked out the on site playground. I was in that state of consciousness where you find yourself staring vacantly into space, awake, but not really seeing or processing anything. It was in that condition I was repeating The Siamese Twin Song in my head over and over again.

"We are Si-a-me-ese if you plea-ese," I sang in the safe confines of my exhausted mind.

Imagine my surprise when I followed this line by actually purring out loud. Imagine my further surprise when, because of my exhaustion the purr lost all of its cuteness and came across a bit...sensuous. Imagine my mortification when I realized the exact moment I purrrrrrrrrred intersected with the exact moment a scantily clad woman finally noticed I had been staring at her.

To this poor woman, who was clearly seeking attention although I doubt I was what she had in mind, a strange lady holding a baby stared at her and waited to make eye contact before purring, sensuously.

Panic.

The situation was far beyond explanation. All I could do was throw my head back laugh hysterically. I laughed so hard I started crying, which I'm sure did little to ease the woman's discomfort. She probably went home and made her blog private.

11 comments:

Judy Ryan said...

Okay, Kasey, this is not what they had in mind when they orchestrated LADY AND THE TRAMP. What's really funny is that I can still hear you doing that purrrr every time we played the song. It's like one of the many segments of Monk where he has no control over himself; he HAS to touch the parking meter; he HAS to straighten the picture; he HAS to turn numbers into denominations of 10. And, when this song is played, Kasey HAS to purrrr. So some chick with more skin than fabric gets in the way. Her problem.

Julie K said...

This made me laugh out loud, in that very unelegant way I have. It reminded me that I still need to share my most embarrassing 12 yr old moment on my blog. It involves:
YM/YW activity
waterskiing
legs I forgot to shave (2 weeks)
kicking the boat (dislocated toe)
Being carried piggy-back from shore by one of the leaders. (Oh, and I should mention I was missing my front tooth (it was a cap) that I had sneezed into the lake.)
I. still. want. to. die.

TNIRYAN said...

I agree with your mom. That lady is lucky that there was no meaning behind your purr. Maybe it will "inspire" her to put some clothes on, but probably not. She's probably talking about you to her friends RIGHT NOW. "Here I was, minding my own business, wearing that great outfit I have, you know the one, and I look SO GOOD that I even think I turned on some lady with a baby! She honest-to-goodness PURRED at me! But can you believe the nerve of some people?! OMG! It was SOOO CREEPY!" Obviously, as you're reading this, you're supposed to hear the valley girl accent going through your mind, but I don't need to explain that to you. You're very capable of hearing things in your head.

Kelly B said...

I can't stop laughing!!!!! You just totally made my day! And I just read everybody's comments and I'm laughing even harder! Mom: you nailed it on the Monk thing- Kasey has always had a bit of "the Monk" in her. And oh, Joonie, I love your lake story! And Irene, who knew you had it in you to talk like a Valley Girl? OMG, like, you've totally been living in the San Joaquin Valley, like, way too long, dude!

But back to the good stuff: I LOVE the handbell version of the Siamese Twin Song! Like you, we pulled out the handbells with Mom and Dad as soon as the littles were in bed, and we geeked out to Disney tunes. (BTW, Mom: you left a whole stack of Disney music in my dining room!) I prefer to think of it as ROCKING out to Disney. (We should probably be featured on that Disney Radio Station, I believe.) Or at least doing a "live performance" in front of Disney World! The funniest was Carter: as a percussionist, he was quite into the handbells!

Thanks for the great belly laugh, Kas! Please continue to purr your way into further embarrassment for our enjoyment. :)

Brittany said...

those little moments make life worth living as far as I am concerned. During our handbells session we received many repremands and were finally up staged by a primary class of 8 year olds. But it was fun none the less.

The Gage Cage said...

I'm sure she was flattered.;-) Not every girl is hot enough to have even straight women hitting on her.

MC Boone said...

LOL... breathe... LOL I am still laughing... you crack me up, girl- this is truly great, but I do feel for you and I am glad you inspired hoochie-mama (or hoe-skeeze in WW language) to put on some clothes. You go.

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...

That is hysterical! I am so impressed you would share something so hilarious - but that was the best. I am still laughing! Can't wait to hang out!

MC Boone said...

Ok, so I have to make another comment because I just realized who Walt is. LOL. Walt Disney. I am a dork. After I read the whole thing it never clicked and just now looking at your blog, it made sense... finally... I feel dumb. :P

Jeni said...

I will still be laughing about this days from now!