Monday, June 9, 2008

My Complicated Relationship with Readin' Rita...



We love the library. We enjoy picking out books, and the new Leesburg library is just too cool.

Atticus asks me regularly if we can go "rent" movies from the library. Compared with the $4 a pop fee at Blockbuster the answer is always a resounding YES!

Wyatt adores the puppet theater and bursts out of his shell. (When hiding safely behind the proscenium.) :)

Good Times are sure to be had at the Leesburg Public Library.

There is one thing, though...I inevitably frighten myself by forgetting that the bronze-cast statue on the bench in front of the library is, indeed, just a statue. This usually involves flinching wildly then walking quickly away while checking my blood pressure.

(A few weeks ago I stopped in one especially dark evening to pick up a book. Paris's car doesn't have a clicker, so I made an obnoxiously overt point of locking and checking the doors after noticing the shady character silhouetted on the bench. It was just the statue - not a mugger or carjacker.)

I decided to start calling her Readin' Rita - to establish a relationship of trust. Didn't work. She still startles me every time.

So you'll understand why today was an especially great library morning. Wyatt's puppet show was sheer genius, a book was waiting for me that I forgot I'd reserved, and I walked right past Readin' Rita without even flinching.

11 comments:

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

HAHA! You just never know who you are going to find when you click on people's blog links. Kids are out of school, I've got time, let's see who's out in blogger land...no way, it's Kasey Ryan! :)I haven't seen you in forever. I'm glad to see that you are doing well. Adorable kiddos!

"Becki Phillips"

Julie K said...

Hah! I do this little involuntary scream and right leg contracted up and arms flinging out in abject fear thingy whenever I am startled. I have a massive flight/fight mechanism that is apparently stuck on "wig-out". So I can commiserate on your Rita freakouts. Pie scares me nearly daily with only walking into a room I happen to be occupying.

L!ND$EY said...

It's good to know that there are other people who have problems with inanimate objects...my friends and I once had a run in with an indoor palm tree :) In our defense, we had just watched a scary movie and were making a run for the kitchen in the middle of the night.

The Gage Cage said...

I can relater to that in so many ways. If it makes you feel any better......sometimes I see a bush. or anything that I can't exactly distinguish in the dark and I jump. I'm so chicken in so many ways.

TNIRYAN said...

Now I'm intensely curious to see a picture of Readin' Rita. I feel like I know her already. People often walk into rooms that I'm sitting in and think I'm just a statue (if they notice that something is there at all). Wait . . . that means that the statue is getting noticed more than I am. Now I think I hate her!

Anonymous said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

Anonymous said...

Well I to but I dream the list inform should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I assume precise post. Expressly the designation attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

When you are a girl who is trying to increase your appearance you will need to look at the make-up you make use of. Remember that like other points, a lot less is actually more. You don't want to use extreme hues. The idea of makeup is for customers to assume that you aren't even making use of any. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]T22wyuul[/url]

Anonymous said...

In order to brew the most beneficial coffee achievable in your house, try and get a coffee machine which has a built-in charcoal filtering system mechanism. By ensuring that the liquid utilized to make each glass is just as 100 % pure and thoroughly clean as it could be, you can be sure that you are taking out the perfect flavour from your beans or terrain gourmet coffee. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Vicinffu7ity[/url]

Anonymous said...

Do magic to your visual appeal increase the blood circulation and flow in your face causing you to appearance a lot less exhausted! Firmly restorative massage your the ears and earlobes from top to bottom using your thumb and forefinger. Rubbing this way energizes the stream of bloodstream to the deal with without damaging tender pores and skin which means that your tone will probably be restored and show up much better. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Matrimo5656[/url]