Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day, 2008...

I had a great Mother's Day. (I wish I could find my camera.)

First, I thought of my own mother. I don't know what I ever did to be blessed with Mom. She filled my thoughts all day. When we stumbled upon the song that's playing (The Heart Seeks Pleasure First) I teared up. I wondered how many hours I spent dancing around the family room while Mom played this song on the piano. I wonder how many hundreds of hours I spent dancing around while she played piano, period. I remember it as early as Sacramento, when I was Pre-K-aged and as late as high school. At times we'd sing together or she'd let me "help her play" or turn pages, but most often we each did our own thing, connected by Mom's music...Scott Joplin, classical, Church or pop/movie soundtracks. I love those memories. She's not your traditional mom in very many ways, but she is the perfect mom in every way.

Then I thought of my children. I don't know what I ever...Well, you get it. Atticus gave me a homemade pot with flowers and cards, and Wyatt helped me plant a hanging basket with lovely flowers. Paris made breakfast and Chicken Bryan (phenominally similar to Carrabba's) for dinner. Church went well, which I can't always say. It was a very nice day with lots of hugs, especially from Wyatt.

Then I thought of other mothers: Brittany, who delivered her first child on Mother's Day 2008; Karen, who wonderfully defies all Mother-In-Law jokes; Kelly, who I'm sure all would agree is SuperMom.

My favorite, though, was a questionaire Atticus filled out in his Pre-K class. He was asked questions about his mom. Among my favorite answers:
3. What is your Mom's favorite Movie?
-The one with the bomb that you pull the pin out of and throw and it goes BOOM! and all the people die.
(He knows me so well.) :)
4. What is your mom's favorite food?
- Anything
(Now he did get this one right.)
8. What does your mom do?
-She's the slinky queen!
(I sincerely hope his teachers assumed he was talking about the classic kids' toy and not my personal mannerisms.)
10.What makes your mom special?
- Because she loves me best.
(I especially liked this answer because I think each of the ideal mother's children believes that he/she is the favorite. I'm 1 for 3 so far!)

3 comments:

Melody said...

I LOVE your blog entries! You are so clever and witty!

It sure sounds like Mother's Day was great for you.

The Gage Cage said...

I love the little question and answer gift. It's so fun to so how our kids minds work. That was also a lovely tribute to your mother! It's fun to be in your parents ward to say the least!

Bryan and Amanda Russ said...

Love it! I'm glad you had a great Mother's Day. I want to hang out with your family sometime.

Atticus is classic, I especially love the movie and the "Slinky Mom", Hilarious!