Saturday, May 10, 2008

Taming Felix...

Top 5 modern inventions that make a woman's domestic skills all she ever dreamed they would be:
- Swivel Sweeper. I often wish I could bear testimony about the truthfulness of the Swivel Sweeper...Want to kiss the inventor of the Swivel Sweeper long and meaningfully. Swivel Sweeper. It just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it.

-Washing machines. Ours went out a couple weeks ago. Let's face it, it's not like I armed myself with a washboard and scrubbed our clothes by hand, but it was decidedly inconvenient to load them up and do them somewhere else.

- Kitchenaid. If I didn't have one, I'd give my arm for one. (Not my left...I'm not crazy or anything.)

- The Magic Eraser. Don't know how it works. Don't care how it works. It works.

- Serger. I know this is a luxury. A fantastic luxury! It's like having a maid when you sew. It quietly hums as it tidies up messy, fraying seams. And all it asks in return is an occasional drop or two of oil.


Top 5 Signs My Domestic Skills aren't all I ever dreamed they would be, despite the above-mentioned inventions:
- I plop onto the couch and say, "Whew! I'm pooped."
Atticus then says, "Oh good. Publix Subs or Pizza?"

- It's been long enough since I really scrubbed the bathrooms that Atticus (4 years old) notices. He then (not intending to be patronizing, I'm sure) says, "Mom, terrific job on the bathrooms! They look super. I'm proud of you. You must have worked very hard."

- After refusing snacks to Atticus because we're having dinner soon he asks, "What's Dad fixing?"

- I'm chronically doing "backwards laundry." Before I can use the basket to take clothes out of the dryer and fold/put them away I have to fold/put away the load that's been in the basket since my last laundry session. Twisted.

- I remind friends with crawlers to give me heads up before they visit so I can find the vaccuum. (Wouldn't want a sweet baby to choke on a chip from last week's nachos.)



Understand, I mention this with some pride; I believe I've made progress. I've always been a little obsessive about cleaning - inevitably the Felix Unger when rooming with someone in college. (Especially Kathryn, I love you.) When we were first married we'd get home from a long trip or a hard day at work and I'd start cleaning. Confused, Paris would helpfully say, "You're exhausted. Just relax." I'd reply,"I'll be able to in a couple minutes, dear. Hand me that carpet steamer, would you?"

Three pregnancies and 9 years with laid back Paris have taught me to relax my expectations a smidge. I'm channeling my Ch'i (or whatever) to try to enjoy the kids and individual moments of my day, regardless of whether or not the house is tidy.

(Not to mention I don't want to raise little OCD k-i-d-s. True Story: we were enjoying a family date at a restaraunt when Wyatt, Atticus and I simultaneously snapped to attention at a familiar sound. We knowingly made eye contact then whipped our heads around to find a waitress swivel sweeping under a table. The boys were beaming. Atticus said, "SHE has a Swivel Sweeper too?! How lucky!" I was concerned. Deeply concerned.)

I admit I falter. If I'm stressed or upset or just need a fix I grab the Swivel Sweeper and go to town. But I can stop anytime, really...

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh Atticus, you are so grown up!! You are right, One is lucky to have a swivel sweeper!! :)

nanamoo said...

I thought this blog was so cute/funny. Cherylyn and I went through it together line by line laughing AND relating!

However, I do not even know what a swivel sweeper is...but it must be something like my floormate, which I love.

Ashlea said...

I loved this blog and laughed thru it while I related my love for the swivel sweeper as well. Have you tried the the swifter mop? Not nearly as great, but still pretty awesome when a little someone has accidents and/or paints on the tile. A must have!

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Funny post! I do not have a swivel sweeper (yes Atticus, weep for me) but I do have a central vac, which I dote on. It is the one thing I fantasized about before our house was finished and I was right. It. Is. Awesome. All that flour that Baby Guy rolled around in? Vacuumed up with my vac, with nary a bit of trouble! You must understand that I have been known to ruin more than one vacuum as I (repeatedly) attempted to suck up pine needles in January, so I can be hard on those machines. But this one, this one loves me. And the feeling is mutual!

Melody said...

Love it!

I guess we are OCD friends. I just can't help myself...

Anonymous said...

This is an wonderful blog that is related to Swivel Sweeper that it is very cheaper in the market. I recommend every one should go and buy these because it is affordable to the common man. It removes dust and other dirt particles at home.